Lion Sands Sabi Sand is one of the oldest and most successful private reserves in South Africa. The history of today's Sabi Sand Reserve as a formal association dates back to 1948 when the landowners formed the private nature reserve. Credit for the association, however, should go to the original pioneers of the reserve in the late 1920's and early 1930's. Of these pioneers, no less than six of their families are now third and fourth generation owners of the land - a credit to the foresight of their forefathers who loved and respected Africa's flora and fauna.
Lion Sands Kruger National Park is a private concession within the boundaries of the Kruger National Park and therefore shares in its history. Kruger, as it is fondly referred to, was first proclaimed in 1898 as the Sabie Game Reserve by the then president of the Transvaal Republic, Paul Kruger.
The concession covers 30 km / 18.6 miles of river frontage of the Sabie river and approximately 14 km / 8.6 miles of the Sand river and is home to a very large selection of fauna and flora. The concession falls under the conservation management of the Kruger National Park and this guarantees unsurpassed game viewing in a pristine natural environment.