The Homestead, circa 1870, was a simple thatch-roof dwelling originally owned by Mr Heinrich Hablutzel. Ownership of The Homestead passed through several hands including the first Archbishop of Cape Town, William West Jones, who used the house as his holiday home until his death in 1908. The house remained relatively unchanged until the 1940s when the Garlick family took possession and undertook extensive renovations leaving us with the Cape Dutch-style homestead we see today.
Sixty years on the house and property, under the ownership of Rovos Rail, has undergone a complete rebuild. The elegant Cape Dutch façade and conservatory is both striking in its contemporary feel yet in total harmony with the well-to-do little suburb of St James squeezed between the rocky shore and steep mountainside.